How much does online therapy cost?
How much does online therapy cost? This is one of the most common questions when considering having therapy online. The price of online therapy can vary greatly depending on circumstances such as the providers, the therapists’ qualifications, the therapists’ experiences, insurance fees, equipment and much more.
This article looks at the online therapy costs from four of the largest online therapy sites and what different plans they can offer you. Although you should keep in mind that the cheapest price may not always mean the best value for money.
Read our take on the best online therapy sites if you aren’t online concerned about prices.
Talkspace.com – online therapy price
Talkspace is an online therapy platform which has more than 5,000 suitably licensed and qualified therapists. Their online therapists are able to understand what you are experiencing and will enable you to make positive changes in your life.
So what is the online therapy price? Talkspace is a therapy subscription service and therapy occurs via safe and confidential messaging. They offer three plans which are charged on a monthly basis:
- Unlimited Messaging Therapy Plus: Billed as $260 monthly for text, audio and video messaging. Your therapist will respond to messages daily, five days a week.
- Unlimited Messaging Therapy Premium: Billed as $316 monthly for text, audio and video messaging plus 1 live session a month. Your therapist will respond to messages daily, five days a week.
- LiveTalk Therapy Ultimate: Billed as $396 monthly for text, audio and video messaging plus 4 live sessions a month. Your therapist will respond to messages daily, five days a week.
Betterhelp is one of the world’s largest network of licensed and qualified counsellors, psychologists, social workers and marriage and family therapists. Betterhelp matches you with a suitable therapist for your needs and preferences and they have professionals who specialise in a wide variety of issues. Betterhelps counsellors all have at least 3 years and 2,000 hours of hands-on experience before joining the platform. This service can offer you individual one to one therapy, couple’s therapy, and therapy for teenagers.
However, Betterhelp may not be right for you if you:
- Have thoughts or hurting yourself or others
- Are under the age of 18
- Are in an urgent crisis
- Have been diagnosed with a severe mental illness or have been advised to be in psychiatric care
- Are required to have therapy by a court order
The online therapy price for Betterhelp is:
- Unlimited access to your counsellor through messaging, live chat, phone calls and video calls for between $40 and $70 per week which is billed monthly. You will need to schedule live chats, live phone and live video sessions in advance with your counsellor.
7Cups was founded by a psychologist and is the largest mental health platform in the world. They are also experts in providing emotional support services. They provide multiple support services for people in distress such as free trained listeners to support you day or night, a peer community, and self-help guides. These services are free and may be helpful if you are looking for non-professional or peer support.
7Cups also offer affordable online therapy with trained, professional therapists. Their online therapy price involves:
- 7Cups provides unlimited access to your therapist through messaging for $150 billed monthly. You can message your therapist as much as you like but your therapist will reply once or twice a day Monday to Friday.
Myonlinetherapy offers therapy with leading psychologists by video, live chat or daily messaging. They can offer you a wide variety of different therapies such as:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Couples therapy
- Dialectical behaviour therapy
- Dynamic interpersonal therapy
- EMDR (Trauma) therapy
- Mentalisation based therapy
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Schema therapy
- Systemic (Family) therapy
Myonlinetherapy online therapy costs according to which plan you chose:
- A video plan for face to face sessions with your therapist. This includes a free online assessment and live conversations with your therapist. This is billed at £49 for 30 minutes, and £99 for 50 minutes.
- A live chat plan for a messaging conversation with your therapist. This includes a free online assessment and live conversations with your therapist. This is billed at £49 for 30 minutes.
- A daily coaching plan where you can message your therapist whenever you feel like it. You therapist will then respond once a day (Monday to Friday) with guidance and support. This is billed at £75 per week.
A quick recap
- Talkspace.com – Between $260 and $396 a month depending on which plan you chose.
- Betterhelp.com – Between $40 and $70 a week ($160 to $280 a month).
- 7Cups.com – A flat rate of $150 a month.
- Myonlinetherapy.com – Between £49 and £99 per session, or £75 a week (£300 a month) for the daily coaching plan.
So which is the best value for money?
Although online therapy costs with 7Cups is the cheapest at $150 a month, it isn’t actually the best value for money. This is due to the limited communication with your therapist and the fact that they do not offer video or phone calls. With 7Cups, your therapist will only reply to messages once or twice on weekdays.
The best value for money is actually therapy through Myonlinetherapy.com and there are two reasons why this is the best choice for you. The first reason is due to the wide variety of different therapies that are on offer for you to chose from, meaning that you get a unique experience especially suited for you and your situation. If you find that one type of therapy doesn’t suit you then you can easily change to another.
The second reason is that you can actually pay per session rather than in one lump sum each month, and it is your choice how long you want to pay for. This makes it a great option if you have a tight budget or are not sure how many therapy sessions you would like. One month you may want four live sessions and other months you may only want one or two. This leaves the question of how much does online therapy cost totally in your control.