Online EMDR therapist: Find the best Certified EMDR counseling near me (virtual).
Nearly every single one of us ends up experiencing some form of trauma in our lives. Being in a car crash, witnessing violence, abusive relationships, and natural disasters are all forms of trauma.
Relational wounds from childhood, such as emotional neglect, also leave traumatic wounds in us.
You might have heard of all the studies showing the benefits of EMDR therapy to treat trauma such as this.
But did you know that EMDR doesn’t have to be practiced in-person? An online EMDR therapist can bring this groundbreaking practice to the comfort of your home.
Even if you don’t live near a therapist who practices EMDR, you can start using this fantastic tool to heal.
Best online service for virtual EMDR therapy – Betterhelp
Betterhelp is an online platform that connects therapists that offer EMDR counseling to clients from all over the country.
Betterhelp therapists combine virtual EMDR therapy with other therapeutic approaches tailored to the clients’ needs.
Get matched with an EMDR therapist.
Effective, convenient, and affordable online sessions. Start by filling out our survey in it’s entirety.
To support the cost of our psychology-educated staff and IT development, we may receive compensation if you sign up for online counseling services we recommend.
3 Examples of certified online EMDR therapists from Betterhelp
Maranda is a certified EMDR therapist who has experience working with adults, adolescents, and children.
Maranda has worked with personality disorders, impulsivity, substance abuse, process addictions (porn, gambling, exercise, etc.), and more.
Other issues she has experience include family conflicts, grief, parenting issues, self-harm, career difficulties, dissociation, communication problems, and commitment issues. Maranda is non-judgemental and will make you feel accepted and safe. She aims to empower her clients to take charge of their mental health.
Alex is a psychotherapist that offers online EMDR treatment. Alex has over 25 years of work experience, including 12 years of work in trauma and addiction. During that time, he’s helped people overcome trauma and abuse, Bipolar disorder, career difficulties, self-esteem challenges, parenting issues, and more.
Alex keeps adding tools to his toolbox, including EMDR, yoga, and meditation. He’s trained as a couple’s therapist and is experienced in working with both couples and individuals.
Direct and to-the-point, Alex uses a holistic approach based on attachment theory, Jungian theory, somatic therapy, mindfulness therapy, Existential Therapy, trauma-focused therapy, and more.
Catherine is a certified EMDR therapist and professional counselor. She has experience working with mothers and pregnant women, addiction, relationship issues, anxiety, and anger management, sleep disorders, Bipolar disorder, OCD, domestic violence, self-harm, career difficulties, and more.
Catherine combines EMDR counseling near me with other approaches such as Attachment-Based Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Mindfulness Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Solution-Focused Therapy, and Trauma-Focused Therapy.
What is Betterhelp and how does it work?
Betterhelp is the leading online counseling website, connecting clients to licensed mental health professionals. Betterhelp offers a counseling platform that one can subscribe to monthly and set up private sessions with a therapist or counselor.
You sign up to the Betterhelp platform by answering a few questions about yourself. These include basic information such as your age, which country you live in, and whether or not you’re in a relationship.
You’ll also answer some questions about symptoms you’ve been dealing with (have you been having trouble sleeping? Do you have suicidal thoughts?). You’ll get a chance to say what kind of issues you’re looking for help in.
Your answers will help your therapist tailor your sessions to your needs. A few hours or days after answering the questions, you’ll get an email from Betterhelp with a message that a therapist has been matched to you (you can also request a specific therapist, based on their profile and reviews). Once you have a match, you can message your counselor and set up a session in the format that suits you. It’s as simple as that!
What makes EMDR counseling ‘near me’ from Betterhelp stand out?
- Each online EMDR therapist that works with Betterhelp is also a licensed and certified Psychologist, Clinical Social Worker, Marriage and Family Therapist, or Professional counselor. Every single one of them has a Doctorate or Master’s in the field. They’ve also acquired more than three years of experience (amounting to over 1000 work hours) before they started working with Betterhelp. That means that they have the tools, experience, certification, and supervision necessary to hold space for your trauma processing.
- Betterhelp has many therapists that offer virtual EMDR therapy. That means you can start having sessions right away.
- With Betterhelp, you can have sessions from the comfort of your room. Choose between live chat sessions, phone calls, or video sessions – whatever works best for you. You can have longer sessions or several shorter sessions. Tailor your sessions according to what feels right.
- All of your information is safe with Betterhelp. Messages to and from your therapist are encrypted and secured. You can protect your privacy even further by signing up using a nickname.
- All of the female life coaches on Betterhelp are licensed counselors, psychologists, or clinical social workers. All of them have a Masters Degree or a Doctorate Degree in their field. They have been qualified and certified by their state’s professional board after successfully completing the necessary education, exams, training and practice. While their experience, expertise and background vary, they all possess at least three years and 1,000 hours of hands-on experience.They all have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you with whatever it is that you’re dealing with.
A subscription to Betterhelp costs just $40 to $70 per week (billed every four weeks). Use PayPal or credit card to pay. Your therapist doesn’t have access to your payment details. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
What is EMDR and how can it help?
Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a form of therapy designed in 1988 to help deal with traumatic memories. During the session, the client is asked to remember distressing images. As they do this, the therapist uses side-to-side eye movements or hand tapping as external stimuli. This type of therapy helps integrate unprocessed trauma.
Unprocessed trauma can result in insomnia, irritability, depression, anxiety, and somatic symptoms such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, migraines, or unexplained back pain. Processing trauma can help alleviate these symptoms.
In 2020, the American Psychological Association listed EMDR as an evidence-based treatment for PTSD.
Online EMDR treatment brings cutting-edge trauma therapy into the comfort and privacy of your own home. No matter where you live, an online EMDR therapist can help you start to process the trauma that’s been holding you back.
If you’ve experienced any kind of trauma that getting in the way of your best life, EMDR can help you on the healing journey.